Sunday, August 26, 2012

Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna

Ingredients
· 20 lasagna noodles
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms – how many ever you want really!
· 1 cup chopped onion – I used about ½ a large onion
· 1 tablespoon minced garlic – I used about 4-6 cloves of garlic
· 2 cups fresh spinach – I used 3 bags of spinach…but I recommend 4 bags!
· 3 cups ricotta cheese – I used fat-free ricotta...it was great
· 2/3 cup grated Romano cheese
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1 teaspoon dried oregano
· 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
· 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
· 1 egg
· 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese – I used fresh mozzarella cheese, grated (you can also slice)
· 3 cups tomato pasta sauce – I used 2 jars of Rinaldi pasta sauce…perfect
· 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese – I used powered Parmesan since I already had it
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
3. In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook mushrooms, onions, and garlic in olive oil until onions are tender. Drain excess liquid and cool. Boil spinach for 5 minutes. Drain, then squeeze out excess liquid. Chop spinach. I cooked the sautéed the spinach with garlic, onions, mushrooms and olive oil…I had to drain some of the water, b/c I didn’t want to overcook the spinach
4. Combine ricotta cheese, Romano cheese, spinach, salt, oregano, basil, pepper, and egg in a bowl. Add cooled mushroom mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Spread some sauce in the dish and lay 5-6 lasagna noodles in bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Spread half of the spinach/mushroom mixture, then half of ricotta cheese picture. Sprinkle 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese on top (even a little Romano if you like). Spread 1 cup spaghetti sauce over cheese. Repeat with another layer. Finish with noodles on the top, with a lot of sauce…then with fresh mozz and a little Romano and parmesan…whatever I had left.
5. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated oven for 1 hour (or until cheese melts). Cool 15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment